Wednesday, February 25, 2009

BEAR SCARE!

Ezekiel decided he was hungry at 4am this morning and for some reason I couldn't get back to sleep. As I lay in bed this memory came to me and I decided to record it. Although I was there when this happened Matt's memory will be more detailed.

A very good friend of mine and Caprece's, Kollet, invited us (Matt, Caprece, Chancey, and myself) for a camping trip to yellowstone. Kollet and Pat had two little ones. One just older than Chancey...Savanah is her name. One just younger than Chancey...practically a newborn as Chancey was probably at most 8 months old at the time. Anyhow, Matt and Caprece brought a tent for their family to camp in and I was camping in "THE" sentra. Pat and Kollet had a 5th wheel camper...very nice! We were all excited about the trip and the area we camped in was beautiful. There are TWO things that stand out for me on this trip. First, I gave Chancey her first taste of chocolate while we were floating down the creek/river. It was a tootsie roll and she absolutely loved it! I got a lot of flack for that one but well it was an "aunt" thing. Second, the bear scare. The first morning I awoke to this story. Matt and Caprece settled in their tent and were asleep...well, Matt was asleep. Caprece had been awakened by the sound of something walking outside the tent. She of course immediately awoke Matt. Now, it is important to understand how Caprece's mind works, not to downplay in any way the scariness of the experience, but she was afraid alligators were going to come in our house when she was younger and was a bit worried about encountering big foot too. She tended to scare easily. I am certain Matt was the voice of reason in this situation however even he was a bit concerned because they had a baby in the tent with them. It, the bear, was snooping and walking around the tent. We assume it was a bear...I don't know if we ever confirmed what it was. I am so glad I slept through it all. So, they decided to go into the camper with Pat and Kollet. BUT they first had to wait for "it" to leave and be sure it was really gone before they made a mad dash from the tent to the camper. I can't imagine the fear Caprece had from the moment she stepped outside of that tent to the moment she and her family were all safely inside the camper. I do know it left a lasting impression on her mind. As far as I know she and Matt never camped in a tent again. The next day she and Matt shared the experience with me and I would have laughed but for the fear I saw in Matt's eyes. Although the beauty of Yellowstone was exquisite it couldn't compare to the bear scare! :)

2 comments: