Friday, March 27, 2009

Sisters, Friends, and Sparring Partners

There is no friend like a sister in calm or stormy weather....

Caprece and I are the best of sisters and the bestest of friends (More about this later)


Now having lauded our friendship...I'll let you all in on a secret (for my family this is no secret). Caprece and I fought quite a bit when we were younger. We yelled mostly but on occaision we got physical. Caprece's move of choice was scratching and mine was pushing. It started when we were quite young and continued until we were in middle school at which point the following took place.

I am not sure what we were fighting about...Caprece wanted to fry some bologne and I didn't want her to? Who knows...? but we were in the kitchen. It started with a simple argument and quickly turned physical. She scratched me and ran...I of course followed and pushed her. Well she had on slick shoes and the floor was a nice smooth linoleum. What is Newton's law? Something like...a body in motion remains in motion unless acted upon by an outside force...she slipped and fell on her back and it knocked the breath out of her. It seemed like forever before she got her breath back. It scared me to death. I of course began crying and apologizing. That was it for me...no more! I swore I wouldn't ever push or hit her again and I never did. However, I can't say the same for Caprece :)

Although to be fair, it was years later...we were in college at USU and definately old enough to know better. As you ALL know our family, especially siblings, can push our buttons. I guess I pushed one of hers. The next thing I knew she was hitting me and I was backing up into the bed where she had me pinned and was pounding away. To make matters worse the fact that we were both in our late 20's and behaving like this got me tickled and if any of you know Caprece you know the worse thing you can do when she is angry with you is to start laughing. The harder I laughed the harder she pounded. Now my sister was no boxing champ...I use the word "pound" very loosely. She was hitting me hard. Somehow she regained her senses with no help from me. I was still laughing. Through the years any time I ever brought this up she couldn't help but remind me that I had really made her mad and that I knew better than to laugh at a moment like that.

Oh yeah, years later, just before Caprece left us she confessed that the day she fell and lost her breath well, it was an act to teach me a lesson. Teach me a lesson it did.

You wonder why I would share something like this? Even in our weakness we loved, accepted and understood one another. I pray that the love, compassion, quickness to forgive, forbear and friendship I developed for my sister I will develop for all...those who love me and especially those who don't.

No comments:

Post a Comment