Friday, March 27, 2009

The Roof or Chuck-O-Rama

The title of this posting is the names of two popular restaurants here in Utah. The Roof is a well known restaurant at the top of the Joseph Smith building which serves a very nice and very expensive buffet on Saturday evenings. Chuck-O-Rama is an all you can eat buffet...I think the name says it all.

While Caprece and I were at USU we planned to attend the Bountiful Temple open house with a group of our friends and go to dinner afterwards. To begin with we were going to all go together for the open house and afterwards Caprece and i were going to go to dinner on our own. We had been to the Garden, a restaurant serving lunch at the top of the Joseph Smith building and had heard while there that The Roof was really good. We pinched and saved our money so we could go. The Bountiful temple open house was wonderful. I will never forget how I felt when I walked into the chapel and first saw this beautiful print of the Savior's triumphant return to earth. It has to be 12 feet tall and 10 ft across. It was breathtaking and still is. We completed our tour and everyone wanted to do dinner together. We explained that we already had plans to go to The Roof and our friends said they would like to go as well. What Caprece and I didn't know was the price or that it was a buffet including prime rib and other pricey but yummy items. We were prepared though for whatever price it might be...our friends weren't. We arrived and were seated. Our friends took one look at the menu $20/person and wanted to leave. After a flurry of discussion, disagreement and finally resignation on the part of Caprece and I we all decided to go somewhere else. We didn't decide where to go before we all piled back into the cars. Caprece and I were so disappointed that we just followed the group. Remember, this was not the days of cell phones for the masses but for the elite few...we were NOT the elite few :) So we had no way of communicating as we went. We just follow hoping for the best. I guess our friends thought what Caprece and I liked so much about The Roof was that it was a buffet soooooo....they led us to none other than the local "Chuck-O-Rama" Just when Caprece and I thought we couldn't be any more disappointed we enter an all you can eat frenzy. The only thing I can remember eating that night was a small portion of mashed potatoes and gravy. Really disappointment doesn't begin to cover it.

Later Caprece and I came to love this adventure. It provided years of deep belly, tear jerking, pee in your pants laughter. Whenever we tried to tell others about the adventure we would be laughing so hard that all that came from our mouths was some strange language no one could understand. Just before I moved from Utah November 2006, I attended Caprece's book club and somehow as we were discussing things restaurants came up and someone said something about Chuck-O-Rama. Caprece and I looked at each other and we lost it. We were crying and Caprece 7 months pregnant was doing the pee pee dance...we didn't even try to explain. We knew it was futile but for us it was a terribly wonderful flashback. So you all tell me "The Roof" or "Chuck-O-Rama"?

No comments:

Post a Comment